Our flight from Bali left late in the evening so our arrival at Tullarmarine in Melbourne was early the next morning. It was strange touching down on home soil having not been back home since May 2007. We had a few hours to wait until our flight to Brisbane departed. We arrived in Brisbane to be greeted by my father, Dan, and nephew, Preston.
Since arriving back in Brisbane we have been super busy catching up with family and friends, sorting through old archive boxes of my books and records, finishing my family tree, attending the Brisbane International Tennis tournament, going to a Brisbane Heat T20 cricket match at the Gabba, trying to sell my car, learning Spanish for our South America leg of the world, going for runs, Fudgie attending many yoga classes and updating our website.
• Spending Christmas with my family for the first time since 2003 (hanging out with my mum, dad, brother, nephew, nana, cousins, aunts and uncles)
• Hanging out with my nephew and playing football in the park
• Catching up with the Stewart family, whose son Paul I coached in cricket when he was 9 years old. It was great to see Alan, Lyn and Paul.
• Catching up with the Dumo family who have been family friends since my mother was a child. Nice to see their family is multiplying! Enjoyed Boxing Day at Fairearth st and also catching up in the Valley for dinner!
• Having a barbeque lunch at my cousin Vanessa’s place; getting to spend time with her family the Patons and also my Auntie Fay and Uncle John Jones (thanks for all the information on our family tree!)
• Filling in for a 3rd grade match for Norths DCC in the last match before Christmas. Enjoyed playing in the T20 match, although was a tad stiff the next day!
• Deborah attending many Bikram Yoga sessions at the local centre in Brisbane and even more of a highlight attending a session taught by the founder of Bikram Yoga, Bikram Choudary himself…check out the picture of Fudgie with the legend!
• Deborah attending a Zumba class with my mother! Nice work.
• Sorting through 25 archive boxes containing my life in books and records. It was funny to look through some of the sentimental items I had kept, but also good to clear out a lot of the unnecessary documents and papers that one hoards during a lifetime. Result – 25 boxes condensed to 9!
• Having an afternoon on the Gold Coast playing putt putt crazy golf and sitting / sleeping on the beach at Surfers Paradise.
• Catching up with Norths DCC mates and partners like Greg and Carly Maher, Simon and Catriona Smith, Nick and Afra Brown,
• Great to see cricket pals Wiggas and Cliffo as well!
• Catching up with Mark and Brooke Leung and their beautiful little daughters Frances and Harri.
• Spending time with my old childhood mate Blair Richards, his fiancé Kelly and their son Luca.
• Drinks and dinner with Brad and Lucy Vinning, Dan Corden and Liam Bannon who are Aussie friends of ours who lived in Jersey, but are back in Australia now!
• Lunching with Terry and Heather Kersey at the famous Breakfast Creek Hotel.
• Visiting my old cricket coach and mentor Mr La Frantz – what a gentleman and legend.
• Dinner twice with longtime family friend, Judy Harris, who is one of the greatest scorers in Australian cricket history! (43 Test matches and over 450 first class matches)
Although our South America flights were changed a few times, we definitely leave on Monday, 30 January 2012 heading for Buenos Aires. We have geared up as much as possible for South America and are very much so looking forward to the adventure! Vea usted en América del Sur! Adiós